France: Les Plus Beaux Villages de France
The Story & Program:
France celebrates the magnificence and beauty of rural life from Alsace to the Côte d’Azur and Provence. Unlock the secrets of “the hexagon’s” most beautiful and culturally rich regions. Bake a kugelhopf for breakfast, have a flamekueche for lunch and leave room for choucroute garnie at dinner. Stroll past half-timber houses and bike through vineyards. Don’t ask whether you’re in La France or Deutschland, you’re exploring Alsace. In Provence and the Var, walk through Roman ruins and visit ancient towns built into the sides of mountains. During your family stay, experience Southern French life and hospitality with new friends. Learn about the modern challenges facing traditional rural life in France with French experts who help you understand and capture the beauty of these diverse regions. Impressionist artists, Michelin starred chefs, farmers and travelers have been inspired by La Vieille France. You will share their wonder.
Orientation in Paris
- Climb the steps of the Eiffel Tower.
- Feast your eyes on the masterpieces of the Louvre.
- Navigate the metro like an expert.
- Speak French in stores, cafes and neighborhoods from Montmarte to the Left Bank.
Seminar in Colmar
- Work with a French photographer.
- Explore the art and architecture of Alsace.
- Meet artisans and craftspeople.
Family and Community Stay in Nimes
- Go native.
- Develop your French language skills.
- Cook with your host family.
- Attend local festivals.
- Become part of a new family.
- Get together with other Corps members to participate in excursions and day trips with your Corps leader.
Field-Based Exploration in the Côte d’Azur, Provence and the Southern Alps
- Explore the city of Cassis.
- Photograph the land and seascapes of Southern France.
- Swim in Lac du Sautet.
- Live off the land during a French farm stay.
Journey’s End in Paris
- Return to familiar neighborhoods in Paris and continue work with a French photographer.
- Reflect on lessons learned and discuss re-entry.
- Visit iconic neighborhoods and sample local delicacies.
- Enjoy a final French meal and prepare for the journey home.
Program: France – Les Plus Beaux Villages de France
Start/End: New York’s JFK International Airport
Dates: June 28, 2023 – July 26, 2023
Prerequisite: One year of French